Drummer: Daniel Williams
Plays For: The Devil Wears Prada
1. When did you first start playing drums?
I started playing snare drum in 6th grade. I wanted to play saxophone or trumpet but couldn’t afford the monthly payments on those instruments. My first time playing a full kit was in High school, when a few of my buddies convinced me to buy a kit for their punk band.
2. What was the first kit you ever owned?
My freshman year of High school I paid 240$ for an entire kit. 3 toms, a snare, a kick drum, kick pedal, hi-hats, sticks, a crash/ride cymbal, and all hardware. For 240$ for all of that I’m sure you can imagine how it sounded.
3. What drummers inspired you when you first started playing?
I always thought Neil Peart was a badass, but to be honest I think my main influences were the drummer of the bled on “pass the flask”, Aaron from Underoath, and Travis barker.
4. What current drummers would you recommend readers check out?
I think that the drummer of meshuggah is insane.
5. What are some of your favorite things about touring?
The feeling of creating connections with people in the audience is awesome. I put everything I have into playing the songs we play live. When I see someone else enjoying it, I feel like I’m playing those songs for a reason beyond myself. Nothing feels as great as seeing someone sing, air guitar, air drum, jump, and scream along.
6. What are some of the worst things about touring?
Sometimes you just physically do not feel like playing. It’s very physically exhausting. Some days you just need a break, but you can’t. Chug energy drinks and power through!!
7. What advice would you give to a drummer just starting out?
Take it slow. Experts become experts by putting thousands of hours into their work. I’m no expert, by any means, but I realize I’ll never be anywhere if I don’t put in the hours and effort to get there. No one picks up drumsticks for the first time and plays perfectly. They fumble, but then they get better.
8. What tour tips would you give to a rookie touring drummer/musician?
Play because you want to play, and you love drums or music. Don’t play because you want to be in a ‘famous’ touring band. Bad intentions get you nowhere.
9. What are you currently listening to?
Cursive – I am Gemini
10. If you weren’t playing music what would you be doing?
Attempting to learn how to surf, run a bar, or start a garden.